Chelsea News: Jorginho chooses Blues over City

1 month ago

In the latest Chelsea news, the Blues have signed Italy international Jorginho from Napoli after Manchester City pulled out of a £50m deal.

The Brazil-born playmaker looked set to be on his way to the Etihad Stadium and even as late as Thursday it appeared as though he would join the Premier League champions.

However, with former Napoli boss Maurizio Sarri now unveiled as Antonio Conte’s successor, Jorginho has followed suit on a five-year deal.

Rumours began to surface earlier in the week that the player preferred the west London club to City and he admitted his delight at completing the transfer.

“I am absolutely ecstatic to be here at Chelsea,” he said. “It is not easy to become part of such a big team so I am very, very happy.

“I am excited to play in such an intense league for a team that gives everything to play and win.”

Born in the South American nation, the talented schemer moved to Italy at the age of 15 and came up through the youth ranks at Verona before making his first-team debut in 2010.

He moved to Napoli in 2014 and made 160 appearances in all competitions for the Naples club, scoring six goals while he has been capped eight times by the Azzurri.

City are said to be unhappy at how things have played out as manager Pep Guardiola had viewed Jorginho as a replacement for defensive midfielder Yaya Toure.

City’s loss is Chelsea’s gain and they will hope to bounce back to form with a new coach and fresh faces in the squad after failing to qualify for the Champions League.

The Stamford Bridge outfit are 11/1 with 888 Sport to win the Premier League title, with City on offer as the 13/20 favourites to defend their crown.

Share